A fun and creative turkey vase for you and your little turkey to create together for your Thanksgiving table. Depending on the age of your child he/she can be as involved as you’d like. This craft was shared with me when I was teaching and still remains a favorite! I was able to create this craft with my third grade students (8-9 year olds) and I only cut off the tops and did all the hot glueing. And Baybah loved helping my sister glue down the tissue paper when they made their Turkey Vase.
Turkey Vase Centerpiece – Thanksgiving Craft for Kids
1 red ballon
Multi-colored tissue pack
Multi-colored feather pack (6 feathers used)
Orange cardstoke scrap
1 soda bottle (20 oz used for this example)
Craft glue (Elmer’s)
- Wash soda bottle and remove label. Then using the cutting knife cut off the top of the bottle where it begins to funnel. Discard funnel.
- Layer desired tissue paper colors and fold in half to quickly cut several 1-2in. squares at a time.
- Using the sponge brush (or paint brush) apply a thin layer of mod podge to the entire outside surface of the bottle. I found it easiest to put my left hand (I’m right handed) within the bottle so I wasn’t touching the outside while I painted with my right hand.
- Place multi-colored tissue paper on the entire bottle layering edges. More Mod Podge be may be needed to keep tissue laying flat against the bottle. Allow tissue to dry for an hour or so then go over again with decoupage to add a finishing shine. Let dry over night.
- Fold orange cardstock in half and draw a triangle. Cut out triangle to create the beak. Set aside.
- Cut 1/2 of the neck off of the ballon. Set aside.
- Hot glue eyes on vase. Next hot glue red ballon so the round large part dangles leaving room for the beak. Then hot glue the beak on the top of the ballon to cover the seam.
- Turn vase around and use the craft glue to glue feathers going in a line up the back of the turkey. Start at the bottom and glue each one facing out a bit to alternating sides.
- Last, fill with fall flowers and water and use at your Thanksgiving table!